Saturday, August 11, 2007

Continuing to Learn and Connecting with Friends

Hello everyone,

It was good to hear from a few of you over email or here in the comments. I am still amazed everyday with the learning and relationships I been given here. We have had lecture on all types of topics relevant to Biblically based Community Development. This week we studied short-term project planning and assessing the needs of different subsets in a community. We were also able to develop project plans in a team and later in the course we will be implementing a project in the community. The team I worked with included 7 people; men from Uganda, Benin, Liberia, Nigeria, The Democratic Republic of Congo, Cuba and one woman from Egypt.

Last night I was able to see Kayamandi for the first time and this morning we are walking threw the township to quietly pray for the needs there. I am really excited to see my new home up close and on foot.

I was also able to meet up with the team here from NCCC and work with them last night as they began a marriage conference/retreat for Pastors and their wives leading churches in Kayamandi. It was such a privilege to meet them and to talk with them about the most difficult issues they feel the community is facing. Has also been great to have some familiar faces here with me and share my excitement about ALICT with them firsthand. Jan, Singrid and PJ took a tour of the facility and cabins we are in yesterday and were able to meet some of my close friends. It has been special for me to be able share so much of my life here with people from home.

I love all of you, please write and let me know how you are. I would love to hear from you : )

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Heather, I sold your car for $10,000. I know you wanted more but cars depreciate and this was a good thing. The buyers were a young military couple and it was exactly what bobbi and Dan had been looking for. They were prepared to buy and were preapproved. Many lookers/callers. Im relieved it is over and the money in your joint account with mom. We will probably transfer it to NCCC and pay off all your bills PTL. What a good report on your blog. ReJoice at being debt free indeed. Proverbs 3:5-6. Love, Dad

Unknown said...

I am sooooo very glad you were able to meet up with Jan and Sigrid and Annely.......it is always good and healthly to to meet those from home...and strengthen your connection. How wonderful for them to see where you are........
I am sure it makes you feel not so distant from home....from those who love you...when you can hug them...and share your heart.
Grandma misses you and so.....do Dad and I.....Loving you this evening after work as I read your blog...and feel my heart fill...I am sooooo very grateful...Loving you Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather, Aunt Caroline here in the USA. Went to dinner with Tom and Dixie. Kelley their daughter, the one with 4 girls 10 down to 3 years old may be coming to Africa in a couple of years. Her husband, Doug is getting his degree as a physician assistant and then want to go to Africa. Amazing to me! Dixie brought a large gift bag for ME, the to be Grandma, full of baby gifts to use here at our house. How generous she and Tom are, also gave me a portable crib! It was so good seeing them and their granddaughter Claire, a sweetheart. Love You, Uncle Louie and Aunt Caroline

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather,

I will try to keep up with your adventures and I am praying for you and your fellow missionaries. It sounds very exciting. I love you. Connie

Anonymous said...

Heather Feather!!! I miss you so much. But man I am jealous of your super cool life! What an honor to to so must exposure and connection to the world. Live grateful!

Asher misses you, he is great. Now when I go to get him in the morning, he sees me and says dadadadadadadadadadada. It is absolutely the best thing in the world. Today Asher and I have a day together. I am excited, but right now he is napping.

I miss you. I wish we could be together, but I wouldn't have you doing any other thing. I hope you are feeling the incarnation of your calling.

Congrats on debt free.

Love,

Mo