Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Hello everyone, I apologize for taking so long to write. So much has happened recently. It is hard to believe that it has been two months since my last post!
I am still living with my colleague and friend, Sis Pumla and her son Monde’ in Kayamandi. I am making real progress with Xhosa, so people tell me, and I have a great tutor from the community who walks me through Kayamandi and coaches me as I speak to my neighbours. It is definitely a challenge.

I had the privilege visiting Pumla’s family in the Eastern Cape at the beginning of May. After a 12 hour bus ride, 5 blocks walking with our luggage in a grocery cart, 2 make-shift combie taxi rides and another 20 min walk on dirt roads, we arrived at the Qualinge family home. Over the next seven days I was given a new family in South Africa. I made Mnqushu, (traditional African dish) over the fire and help to make Umqombothi (traditional African beer). I assisted with the slaughtering and cleaning of many chickens and participated in a traditional ceremony that welcomed me as one of the family. I was able to meet the patriarch of the family and three of Sis Pumla’s six siblings along with their children. More than this, I was privileged to be given a very intimate and internal view of family roles, dynamics and traditions within the Xhosa culture.

Below is a quick update on the projects I am working on here at Kuyasa, I will be speaking in more detail about these when I see you all in June.
• 70% of the 36 lesson curriculum for children suffering from PTSD
• 75% of the Standard Procedures for Kuyasa
• Annual All Staff Training Modules
• HR consult and assistance with hiring, creating the application and interview process
• The annual contracts and job descriptions for all full time and part time staff
• Guitar lessons once a week with students
• Worship band, practicing once a week (We recently received funding for a drum set!)
• Art Program, mentoring a young man from the community who is doing a FANTASTIC job creating lesson plans and structuring the program
• Implementation of 12 Sponsorship Program Training Modules to train up sponsorship administrator from 4 different NGOs locally
• IT classes for staff and students

No comments: