Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Wonderings and Wanderings

I have been reading from 1 Corinthians recently and was reminded that Paul was the first real missionary—after Christ that is. In chapter 9 Paul clearly states his methodology of missions. It is nice to read in the New Living Translation. The content of his message is written in other places, but the means by which he chose to deliver the message is there in chapter 9. Reading this with the words in proverbs that speak about truth or wise words given at the right time are like “golden apples in settings of silver” has been a real encouragement to me. Christ was the first example of what Paul speaks about here in chapter 9. Paul calls himself a slave to all, and of course this is what Christ was, deity illegitimately born into the world, in a town no one wanted to visit, a blue collar guy, homeless for most of his adult life, possessing nothing, he came to live as a slave in service to those he hope to save, even unto death. Then as we read, Christ spoke with divine wisdom and places these difficult to decipher apples of gold in the perfect settings. When people ask him questions he responds contextually. He nearly near gives a straight, plain, flat answer. He places his meaning in a context, a beautiful setting through, story, analogy and metaphor. He says himself that those who are not ready to hear what he has to say will not hear it. They listen, but only the heart that is ready can unlock the truth that is there. And of course it is the Spirit of God that prepares the heart to receive this.

I am still so much in the pre and introductory phases of an incarnational witness here. It can take years to become a fairly integrated part of any community even in your native culture, with people who speak your native language.

I am not sure where God will land me. Maybe here in Kayamandi, maybe Liberia, Rwanda or Mozambique. But I am definitely in cross-cultural Kindergarten. Washing in a basin, greeting mean looking guys with a smile, using a bucket for a toilet, riding in make-shift combies with 15 other people, eating pap and sour milk, making peace with the cockroaches and mice, expecting 36 interruptions a day—these things have become second nature, but there are so many other things that still feel foreign. I am hoping that this “basic training” coupled with many other forms of training and education that God has given me will be of benefit wherever I end up.

Thank you all for your patience with me. I never feel like any of you have a “Produce, Produce, Produce!” mindset or that you expect that I become the next female Billy Graham. You are patient with me as I am work to be patient with myself. Your grace extended and support has been my greatest encouragement next to the Lord. I am excited to be able to come and visit with all of you soon. This year has been very exploratory (as I had never been in a township prior to arriving). I am excited to plan, pray, and prepare with all of you for my return to Kayamandi; as well as learn more about what your lives have been like over the past year.

I will be arriving in San Diego on the 22nd of June and will stay through the third of July. Jen Ryan, my sponsorship coordinator and my mother will be helping to organize several group gatherings. There will be a dessert and meeting at my parent’s home on the 28th of June. I would love to meet and share with any of you individually as well.

Love and Blessings,
Heather

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear from you, and relieved to know you are safe!! What a challenging situation...sounds like everything was handled well by you and the organization.
Can't wait to see you when you get home!
Love you!
Aunt Kathy

Anonymous said...

Heather...you are precious and you never have to apologize for any degree of infrequency in posting messages on your blog...not when you contend with the "learning experiences" you state and the schedule you have. Love, Dad